People with hoarding disorders know they have a problem but are afraid of accepting this fact. Yet, for them to get help and recover from this problem, they have to accept that they have a problem. Hoarding is a serious emotional illness and for one to reclaim their life, they have to get professional help. Learning how to help a hoarder is important as it gives you an opportunity to help them overcome their anxiety and find ways through which they can overcome the problem completely. With the following tips, it should be easy for you to accomplish this end.
- Hoarders need to be given a listening hear. This is one of the most important ways through which you can help them overcome their problem. It is important to note you should listen without passing any kind of judgment. This is important as it helps the hoarder deal with any conflicting emotions they might be dealing with and what is more, they are able to articulate their feelings more by simply getting them out in the open. Rather than offering them a quick fix or solution, you should ask the hoarder some questions in order to clarify factors that have contributed to the state of things they are in. What is more, this is the only way to motivate them into overcoming the problem once and for all.
- If the hoarder asks for professional, it is a clear indication they have every intention of overcoming their problem. The best thing you can do in this case is help them find someone they can talk to and ensure that the therapist is the best there is. In cases where the hoarder has the desire to get help but they are afraid of talking to a complete stranger, you should offer to accompany them. Whether you do this during the first session or a couple, it will give them immense moral support to overcome their problem.
- As an individual once you decide to learn how to help a hoarder, you should also invest your time in the entire exercise and help them take those small steps that are needed to guarantee complete recovery. After the help sessions start, the hoarder should be asked to get rid of the stuff they are hoarding bit by bit. You should lend a helping hand as well by holding the bag or box where they are supposed to deposit the items they intend to get rid of. As part of the recovery process, it is essential that the hoarder be given the chance to decide on what they are going to get rid of and what they are going to keep.
- Getting rid of this habit is not easy and requires high level of patience. For this reason, it is important for you to exercise high level of patience with the hoarder. It will be difficult to understand why they want to hold on to certain things and while this is the case, make sure that you do not discourage them but rather, guide them on the proper path and with patience.
- As you learn how to help a hoarder, also bear in mind that there will be a couple of setbacks to deal with. This often varies in accordance to the type of hoarding they are into.
With these simple tips, it should be easy for you to learn how to help a hoarder and ensure they overcome their problem.